• Landlord Advice

As a landlord or a tenant, have you ever wondered what smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors you must provide or have fitted within your rented property? Why not let us take that worry away by installing the correct mains powered smoke alarm system. You will Receive smoke alarm test certificate to show you have a professionally installed system. This should keep your tenants safe and happy and you happy to know you have done right by them.

• How many smoke alarms are required?
The regulations require private rented sector landlords, from 1 October 2015, to have: At least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their rental property which is used as living accommodation, and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used - after that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.
The regulations require landlords to ensure alarms are installed in their properties with effect from 1 October 2015. After that, the landlord (or someone acting on behalf of the landlord) must ensure all alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.
After the landlord’s test on the first day of the tenancy, tenants should take responsibility for their own safety and test all alarms regularly to make sure they are in working order. Testing monthly is generally considered an appropriate frequency for smoke alarms. If tenants find that their alarm(s) are not in working order during the tenancy, they are advised to arrange the replacement of the batteries or the alarm itself with the relevant landlord.

• Detection matters!
Residents of properties left unprotected against fire or carbon monoxide have a much higher than average chance of being injured or killed in their home. Between April 2013 and March 2014, 97 people died and 1900 were injured in domestic fires affecting properties where no smoke alarm was present. It is also estimated that there are in the region of 50 deaths and over 1100 hospital admissions annually as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Who do tenants contact if there is insufficient protection?
Tenants should discuss the situation with their landlord first. If a landlord is unresponsive, or unwilling to install alarms to meet legislation, they can be reported to the local housing authority.